On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 3:33 AM Benoit Ganne (bganne) <bga...@cisco.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes containers usually do not update /dev after creation, so any device
> that shows up dynamically afterwards won't be available by default. Note
> this is not specific to VPP.

OK cool, that is what it was looking like...

To access PCI devices from userspaces you'll need access to either
> /dev/vfio/* or /dev/uio* device nodes depending of the driver.

Yeah, DPDK is looking for /dev/uio*...

> You have several options:
>  1) make sure the device showed up before starting the container so that
> they will be populated

I have tried this, and it doesn't work.

>  2) create you container using '-v /dev:/dev' to bind mount /dev: every
> changes in host /dev is visible to container

Also, does not work.

>  3) use mknod to make the device nodes in the container

This, I expected to work, but it does not.

>  4) run udev in your container

Could you clarify a bit what you mean by this?  Or how to set that up?
udev is, of course, already running on the host system.

In each of the cases above where I said "still doesn't work", when the
/dev/uio* is
present, it is found.  However, it then leads to this error as reported by
vppctl's
"show log" command:

2019/10/04 21:23:48:566 notice     dpdk       EAL: PCI device 0000:06:00.1
on NUMA socket -1
2019/10/04 21:23:48:566 notice     dpdk       EAL:   Invalid NUMA socket,
default to 0