Dave,

> On 28 Jan 2021, at 16:59, Dave Wallace <dwallac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Andrew,
>
> The only issue I have with your proposal is that there is no way to implement
> it. Gerrit auto-abandon doesn't have a way to detect 'T'.

We could approximate it by setting changeCleanup.abandonIfMergeable to false,
it’s not perfect, of course, but I think it will take care of most of the true
“dead” changes.

It seems like we already do have gerrit do the indexing, so it’s no-cost
operation.

> While I agree with your idea that 'T' should be based on a time other than
> the initial patch upload, I don't see a mechanism to do so.  It would appear
> to me that the only other solution would be to make the window larger and
> anything up to the release cycle duration (120 days) seems reasonable to me.
>
> The other point I would make is that auto-abandon is not deletion.  Thus it
> puts more ownership on the patch creator to poke the maintainer(s) for a
> review.  And I'm assuming that 'Restore' resets the clock on the auto-abandon
> trigger.

True, and we could put the appropriate abandon message that would describes
what to do and explains why, so people don’t get upset/annoyed.

> Lastly, I have not heard a counter-proposal from either you or Ole on how to
> clean up the current state of the queue.  We're wasting cycles and abusing
> the infra by letting the queue remain so large and it would be wise to
> address that sooner rather than later.

If we decide to enable it, shout loudly on the list and give folks a month
warning before actually enable it, to touch the changes they intend on working
on. Then enable the plugin. Then start with whatever nagging/reporting process
from clean slate on top of the plugin being already active.

To be clear: I think that there are two separate things:

1)  having a boatload of super outdated open changes
2) avoiding such changes piling up in the future/improving the review time

The enabling of the plugin proposal solves (1), which is an immediate technical
problem.

Ole’s proposal seems to me to be aimed to address the (1) via (2), so my
comment was that I disagreed that the suggested approach of addressing (2) is
going to work, thus the suggested tweak.

I still think it’s fine to enable the plugin (with not deleting the mergeable
changes config), and it will solve the (1), and then discuss how to tackle (2).

—a