Hoi,

I have seen that message, but it is not related to the Linux CP plugin, and
it seems benign -- that is to say, Linux CP and VPP work just fine even
though the error is emitted.
Without Linux CP enabled, the same message appears when adding an IP
address to a sub-int. I didn't look in to it very long, but the error is
emitted in src/vnet/interface.c:1583 for
function vnet_hw_interface_add_del_mac_address() which occurs only in a few
places:

src/plugins/lldp/lldp_cli.c:        vnet_hw_interface_add_del_mac_address
(lm->vnet_main,
src/plugins/lldp/lldp_cli.c:        vnet_hw_interface_add_del_mac_address
(lm->vnet_main,
src/plugins/vrrp/vrrp.c:      error = vnet_hw_interface_add_del_mac_address
src/vnet/interface_api.c:  error = vnet_hw_interface_add_del_mac_address
(vnm, hi->hw_if_index,
src/vnet/mfib/mfib_itf.c:    vnet_hw_interface_add_del_mac_address
(vnet_get_main(),
src/vnet/bonding/device.c:    error = vnet_hw_interface_add_del_mac_address
(vnm, s_hi->hw_if_index,
src/vnet/bonding/device.c:          vnet_hw_interface_add_del_mac_address
(vnm, s_hi->hw_if_index,
src/vnet/bonding/cli.c:    vnet_hw_interface_add_del_mac_address (vnm,
s_hwif->hw_if_index,
src/vnet/interface_cli.c:    vnet_hw_interface_add_del_mac_address (vnm,
si->hw_if_index, mac, is_add);

If you're curious, you could take a look at these call sites. One other
place you might look is ip6_add_del_interface_address()
and ip4_add_del_interface_address() which are the functions that get called
when you issue the CLI 'set interface ip address' command.

But it would also be okay to ignore the error for now -- maybe others have
a recollection of how vnet_hw_interface_add_del_mac_address() does its
business.

groet,
Pim

--