Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. Having 1GB huge-page makes PA to VA conversion somewhat 
easier than with 2MB huge-pages. The VPP has its own buffer management and 
cacheing, and the DPDK rte mempool functionality is not used by VPP at all. Is 
that statement correct? I am developing a (DPDK) PMD with VPP network stack. 
The driver needs to replenish rx-buffers  and tx-buffers need to be returned to 
the pool/cache. Currently I am using DPDK rte_mempool APIs to allocate and free 
mbuf. I am wondering why not call vlib_buffer_alloc/free instead of 
rte_pkmbuf_free/alloc_bulk since mbuf is a vlib_buffer and VPP does all the 
buffer and cache-management work?  Does vlib_buffer_t have any dependency on 
rte_mbuf contents? I keep hearing that VPP can operate without DPDK. Is there 
any example code/driver that does not use DPDK rte APIs for tx/rx and for 
buffer management ?  The VPP (default)creates a single buffer pool with 
contiguous VA address space with buffer-index thats point to a buffer which 
make buffer recycling much easier for the PMD.

Thank you,

- P K Das
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#27221): https://lists.fd.io/g/vpp-dev/message/27221
Mute This Topic: https://lists.fd.io/mt/121458452/21656
Group Owner: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.fd.io/g/vpp-dev/leave/14379924/21656/631435203/xyzzy 
[[email protected]]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Reply via email to