Very astute and important.  The hub (eg, VRML)
sometimes is not the important factor.

Sometimes the development in the rim languages
(eg, audio, avis, gifs) is just as important or
more because they add sizzle.  This is a problem
for online works and why we went to the harddisk
with IrishSpace.  Without the human voice and
music, we had great visuals, but the continuity
and depth were less than desirable.  This is a
tough nut to crack and why the RealAudio
streaming makes me anxious.  Will the quality
be high enough?  How many streams?  Will it
be better to use SMIL as the hub and VRML
as a rim or local hub?    There are lots of
issues there that have to be worked out
and probably a season of small tests before
laying out the next generation of VRML content.

Anyway, to sum up, technology is not enough.
One needs a strong story, strong sets, characters
with depth and a potential to evolve, and a
sustainable plot.  A good question is, do you
want to create a "movie" and sequels, or a
series?  This will determine some aspects of
the story.  Once you know this, then look for
technologies that make that happen.

Len