The user password system is a little sub-optimal.  We are in the process
of changing the CLI and in doing so user setup will hopefully get fixed
as well.  Until then you could add your user to the file in
/etc/tmp/passwd and /etc/tmp/shadow.  Those files overwrite the system
file on startup.

Cheers,
Robert.