vyatta/vyatta should certainly be correct.  Since you can log in as root/vyatta,
just run "xorpsh" as root; it'll put you in the Vyatta CLI.  As Marat
pointed out,
there may be useful information in /var/log/messages, or "show log" from the CLI
to help solve the issues logging as vyatta.

Best,
Justin