As far as I am aware, XORP does nothing but routing. Vyatta adds in
the firewall, nat, vpn, and other features. They've also made changes
to XORP itself. One of the Vyatta guys will probably chime in with
more detail than I can provide here soon.

Aubrey Wells
Senior Engineer
Shelton | Johns Technology Group
A Vyatta Ready Partner