That is a capital I (eye) in the ping command by the way...

------------------
Aubrey Wells
Senior Engineer
Shelton | Johns Technology Group
A Vyatta Ready Partner
www.sheltonjohns.com

On Nov 28, 2007, at 3:30 PM, Aubrey Wells wrote:

Ok, let me make sure I have this right. So if you have a virtual machine with ip 10.30.104.X, with its adapter in the appropriate vsiwtch in ESX to be on vlan 104, you can ping the 10.30.104.1 ip, but the 10.30.104.1 ip can not ping the same host that just pinged it? That sounds like a firewall issue at the host level. If you can ping one from the other, then there is obviously two-way traffic established, so something has to be blocking the packets originating from the vyatta box. Either that or the vyatta box is not using the appropriate source address and the return traffic is not being routed properly. Try this from the unix shell on your vyatta:

ping -I 10.30.104.1 10.30.104.X

where X is the ip of a box that can ping the vyatta box. Let me know what happens there...

I don't know how much you know about swithing, but the native vlan just means that all untagged traffic into the interface is marked as belonging to the native vlan, in this case 101. Since you have the vlan101 ip space untagged on eth0 on your vyatta box, that is why you can ping it from the switch when you add 101 as the native vlan to the trunk.