Hi Guys,
Lots of big changes in Glendale and I'm enjoying them. I did my usual drop
test, dropping the Glendale test router into production. I even spiced up my
config a bit, adding authentication where possible. So far so good guys. The
new version looks exciting, and I can't wait to see the new features that
are coming out in the next builds. I have noticed a couple things though.
Some of this is probably me still wrapping my mind around this new CLI. It
took me a while to find out how to set the OSPF RID, and get redistribution
working, so I wouldn't put it past me just not grasping this new CLI yet. So
here's my list:

- top doesn't take you to the top of the command line hierarchy, it runs the
shell top program. For example if you edit interfaces ethernet eth3, make
changes and then type top it runs the top program.

-Right now it appears you can't edit service dhcp-server. The command line
hierarchy was one of the best features of this CLI, it should be added to
everything. I know it's a new command line and I hope this is something you
guys are working on.

- I think I saw this about the previous release, however it appears to be
the same in Glendale. Even if an interface description is set in the command
line SNMP returns the following values for interface description: Found item
[ifDescr='eth0'] index: 2 [from value]. Interface descriptions are a big
deal in the service provider arena; it should be very easy to indentify
interfaces by description. Descriptions should show up in the output of show
interface system.

- You don't seem to be able to use "run" to execute some commands from
inside config mode. Just like do in Cisco IOS, run in this CLI is an
essential tool that simplifies troubleshooting new configs

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ ping 192.168.20.10

64 bytes from 192.168.20.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=255 time=6.44 ms

64 bytes from 192.168.20.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=255 time=2.33 ms

--- 192.168.20.10 ping statistics ---

2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1002ms

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ configure

ru      [edit]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] run ping 192.168.20.10

Invalid command

[edit]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

- There doesn't seem to be a way to run OSPF of VIFs. Please tell me I'm
crazy and this is not the case.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] set interfaces ethernet eth3 vif 5

address       description   firewall

bridge-group  disable       vrrp

[edit]

[EMAIL PROTECTED] set interfaces ethernet eth3 vif 5

- I don't mind the new CLI, however I REALLY miss the ? and the space auto
completion. If there is any way we can work to getting that back I would be
over the moon. I know there has been some discussion about this, but I
figured I'd voice my opinion as well, as late as it is.

- I noticed that you're using Quagga as the routing engine. I must admit
I'll miss XORP, and it's juniper eque control but I understand that Quagga
has more to offer in the way of functionality. Can we use the clear ip ospf
to reset the ospf process built into Quagga in the shell?

- show ospf4 database self-originate is one of the best commands to
troubleshoot ospf with, can we please work towards adding it?
All in all guys it looks good. I can't wait to see the builds that are
coming soon. Hopefully we can upgrade our Alpha 1 routers to Alpha 2 in
place with 'update package' :D. Keep up the good work,

Regards,
Nick