I've been struggling with the idea that moon phase affects fishing for quite some time.  My wife and I have an arrangement in which we each get one weekend per month to do whatever we want, i.e., a break from the kids.  My weekend, of course, always consists of fishing.  Normally our schedule is arranged such that my fishing trip falls on a weekend on or about the moon's first quarter.  I've arranged it this way for fishing reasons as well as other estrogen-based reasons that pertain to lunar cycles ;-)

On or about the first quarter moon it is already high in the sky when the sun sets.  This extends my hours of fishing in the evening and it seems that the fish continue to feed longer as a result of the continued brightness.  Based on nothing more than my experience, albeit somewhat limited, I also theorize that during the first quarter and thru the full moon phase the fish are more active throughout the day.

Occasionally our schedule gets thrown off for various reasons - that's life... which has led me to some of the observations that helped to form the theory that first quarter and full moon are best.  It seems that every time I am "forced" to fish on or about the new moon phase that the fishing is just downright slow.  I've fished some of my favorite spots during the new moon and found that I have generally caught far few, and generally smaller fish.  I've also noticed, although I'm even less sure on this, that the fishing around the first quarter usually seems hot compared to the good fishing I experience closer to full moon.

Now, I've heard that a lot of people believe (or don't believe) that moon phases affect fishing.  I flyfished for several years as a teenager, and just got back into it (got addicted to it) around 3 years ago or so I simply lack the length of experience, the variation in data if you will, to trust my conclusions.  I'd like to know what all you list members think on the subject.  Perhaps between the lot of us we can draw some clearer conclusions.

Thanks in advance and
-tight lines-

Jim Speaker