From: vpons
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 7:43 PM
To: Washington Fly fishers
Subject: fishing in Alaska

I'm planning a fishing trip in Alaska next may. As I saw in the waflyfishers web site, some of the members of the list have fished the Situk. That's exactly where I'm heading. In order to make this trip unforgettable, I just would like to get a few advices.
I read that one of the most popular fishing techniques consist on using spit shots and an imitation of egg. Well, that's not what I really like but if it is much more efficient than any other techniques, I'll do that.
What I would like to do is sight fishing with classic nymphs. Have you tried classic patterns on these steelies? Should I tie heavy or really heavy flies? How many should I expect to lose everyday?
What kind of weather at this moment of the year?
We will have a jon boat, is it a nice kind of boat? As I have never been on a boat on a river, should I be scared??????
thanks for any advices,
Vincent