This may not be a wise thing to say but...

After purchasing OS X when it came out in March, installing and running it
for a while, I decided that as an OS that needs to be a work horse, OS X
had to be trashed and I went back to OS 9.1.

I, naturally, was hanging out for the update to OS X, which I did install
relatively successfully. I had also installed the update to OS 9.1 ... i.e.
now running OS 9.2 . I was expecting big things, I suppose.

After a couple of weeks of using OS 10.1 I have decided to trash it too and
simply use OS 9.2 .

I haven¹t really noticed the big speed bump that many people seem to be
reporting. My printer (an Oki 12/n) cannot be used with OS X; Classic
crashes completely (with bomb) quite frequently (though not all the time and
regardless of which application, be it Entourage or Netscape...). Preview
mucks around with images, completely miniaturising some of them; the date is
not displayed correctly (admittedly a small gripe); the Mail application
simply isn¹t up to scratch; using Classic just seems to be very cumbersome
and unsatisfying (especially with it crashing so often); for some reason my
modem was dialling up every couple of minutes (but only intermittently)...

Basically, I do not think there is a compelling reason to switch to OS X and
I guess I am somewhat surprised that OS X, for me, still isn¹t all that
flash. I wouldn¹t mind if there were some problems with some applications,
but I am finding that it is not worth using OS X on a daily basis as a work
machine.

So many people seem really thrilled with OS X...am I the only one who is
really dissatisfied? I am not a computer geek and find that I get really
overwhelmed with all the different fixes that one could use to get OS X to
run...surely by now OS X should be able to run relatively smoothly.

Permanently switching back to OS 9.2 suddenly seems like a breath of fresh
air!

Michael Schmidt