Thanks to those who responded.

I switched the modem to GV 56, but found I also had to uncheck "do not wait for dial tone to connect".

All is well so far ... I LOVE 10.1 !!

On Monday, October 22, 2001, at 08:36 AM, Stephen Chape wrote:

Hi folks ..... HELP !!

I have am iMac 266 with OS 9.1. Yesterday I installed OS 10.1 which so far I
think is great.
However I seem to have missed entering something, which means I now cannot
connect to the internet.

When IE tries to connect the message is "The specified server could not be
found".
When Mail tries to connect the message is "Fetch Error - couldn't connect to
POP host named mail.smartchat.net.au".
When Internet Connect tries to connect the message is "No dial tone
detected, please check phone line connection & try again". I can hear the
tone for about 3 to 4 seconds then it stops.
When Outlook Express to connect the message is "The domain name servers are
not responding".

I have spent about 2 hours trying all I can think of, but so far without a
result. I may have missed writing down some of the details from Remote
Access in 9.1. I notice I have nothing in Proxies in the Network area, and I thought it had something like "proxy.connect.com.au" and 8080. I have even tried selecting the V34 internal modem instaed of the V90. Our Windows IT man here at work thinks it's a modem driver problem, but how could that be ?

Any ideas before I call in the troops ??????

Regards,
Stephen Chape
CPS Hardware Co-operative
Phone 08 9352 4733 Fax 08 9352 4740

Got a Question? Try searching the WAMUG list archives first at
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wamug/messages/>

To unsubscribe from the WAMUG e-mail list, send e-mail from this account to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]