Hi

I hope someone can help me here...
I recently aquired a Beige G3 with a DVD-ROM drive
but have been unable to get it to play a DVD.

There's nothing wrong with the drive, it plays and reads CDs
fine and mounts any DVD on the Desktop.

I can't seem to sort out the software side of things and I think the
problem may be with the installed display card. (see Apple Profile details
below)

Research on the net indicates that the installed drive
(see Apple Profile details below) should should run with Apple DVD Player
with no patch required as long as the Apple CD/DVD Driver/extension is 1.2
or later

I still haven't been able to get Apple DVD player to open
up on the G3, I've tried various Versions and patches with
both OS 9.1 & OS 8.6. ... usually end up with some sort of dialogue box
saying "hardware is not supported".

Maybe the installed ATI Mach64_3DUPro Display Card
is not capable of handling DVD????

Do I need to install an alternative display/video card?


Monitor is Apple Multi Scan 15".....

Specs via Apple System Profiler...

Internal ATA 1 - DVD-ROM Drive
Driver version: 1.4.4
Vendor: MATSHITA
Revision number: s15C
Product ID: DVD-ROM SR-8584A

SCSI Bus - IBM Wide SCSI 9GB HD

PCI (Slot F1) - Display Card
Card Type: display
Card name: ATI mach64_3DUPro
Card model: ATI GT-C
Card ROM#: 113-XXXXX-1.1
Card Revision: 92
Card vendor ID: 1002
VRAM size: 6 MB

PCI (slot A1) - SCSI card
Card type: scsi
Card name: Apple53C875Card
Card model: NCR,875
Card ROM#: Not available
Card Revision: 4,120
Card vendor ID: 1000


TIA
Neil