Dear WAMUGgers

I forward this to you from out GMUG list as Doreen is in need of a
response and needs it soon. Maybe someone from the greater southern
contingent of Mac users can help her. Please respond directly to
Doreen at the Yamaji Language Centre:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]


HELP - MAJOR PANIC ATTACKS - Dire and urgent need.

Please help if you can
I am working on a Power Mac 7200/120, but have access to other machines
i.e. G4s
I have a WORD (98) document approx 150 pages, a Pagemaker 6.5 document
which is 16 pages of photographs and a Photoshop A5 size image.
I need to make all these things into a PDF file.

A) What tools do I need to do this?
b) How do I do it?
c) Can I then email these PDFs as attachments in the normal way?

To avoid sudden death I need to do this before lunch time tomorrow
(Fri 30 Nov)
Any clear simple step-by-step idiot-proof instruction on how to do it would
earn the benefactor big smouldering heaps of warm and fuzzies. And my
gratitude.

>Doreen.


You have two solutions to produce the PDF.
1. Buy Acrobat - fairly expensive but very robust.
2. Use Print to PDF a very easy to use piece of shareware that is worth purchasing.

I have had reasonable success with the latter solution except when the size and complexity of my document got excessive and I was requiring print rather than screen quality out puts. (not that it couldn't do it theoretically but it just didn't do it without a great deal of fuss) as the name suggest with this option you select it just like a printer in the chooser but the output prints to a PDF formatted file instead of the printer.

Acrobat does a similar job and I use it from PageMaker where there is an option to export to PDF format. Easy, reliable and relatively simple.

Yes you can send them as attachments. If you opt for a screen resolution output a typical 60Mb Pagemaker file compresses down to about 3Mb but when optimized for printing output, you are talking about 50Mb so not suitable for attaching to email.

To avoid sudden death, your only solution would be to get to versiontracker download option 2 as ordering Acrobat takes a lot longer.
--
regards

Eugene de Gouw
Coordinator of Computing
Helena College Senior School
PO Box 52
Glen Forrest WA 6071
PH: : +618 9298 9100
FAX: : +618 9298 8616