I'll give away a MS optical trackball (yeah, I can't get rid of the
thing), to the solution to this problem:

--
There's a copy of Indesign 1.5.2 on a G4 400 AGP (192eg RAM) in
another office. It connects to a windows NT filesharing server.

It's running 9.2.2, and there are no other discernable problems apart
from the one I'm about to describe.

For some reason - importing word docs from the NT server is causing
the computer to freeze, prompting a hard restart. Importing word
documents from the desktop (after being copied from the NT server)
causes the crash also.

Generating new documents on the desktop with a copy of Office '98 will
not cause a crash, but copy & pasting text, or even saving a document
(from the NT server) as a text file, opening it in simpletext, copying
the contents, pasting it into a _new_ simpletext document and saving it
will cause the freeze/crash.

I've done a complete reinstall of the system software, updated the
firmware, checked all peripheral USB devices, and reinstalled
InDesign.

The kicker? I tested the _same_ copy of Indesign
running under classic (9.2.2) with 10.1.3 on a 450Mhz G4 (512ram), my
own office machine, and
it performs the same operation without any problems at all.

I have a copy of Indesign 2.0 on the same machine - no problems. I
decided to install my copy of indesign 2.0 on the problem machine - no
problems with the operation.

So for some reason, a copy of indesign 1.5.2 (it was performing the
same problem in v1.5) is freezing on one computer, but not another.

I've installed and tested this setup at various stages (clean
install with just InDesign under 9.0.4, 9.1, 9.2.1, 9.2.2 ... 1.5,
1.5.2 ... MS office '98, before and after service packs, Office 2001,
before & after service packs)

I've seen this version of Indesign work flawlessly on the same
computer in the past, and seen it work on an identical model
elsewhere).

An extra oddity:

- MS Office '98 (on the problem computer) was freezing in the same way
until I discovered some corrupt fonts using ATM deluxe. I deleted the
fonts and word stopped crashing. Hasn't helped with Idesign though

Anyone?

Tobes.
email work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
email home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]