I am a Macite in the field of computer music generation using MIDI etc
and am thinking about getting OSX. Firstly, would it be beneficial in my
situation? I have heard it is only advantageous for unix related use.

That's not true. It does have some advantages for the non-unix user, otherwise no Mac users would actually upgrade to it.

Primarily, what I like about it is the fact that my machine rarely crashes. Individual applications have crashed, and I had the occasional kernel panic last year on previous versions of the OS X, but it is pretty much stable. (Of course as a Unix user I get other benefits too :)

Most of the apps I use are not compatable with OSX so therefore would
have to use Classic which aparently chews up much memory. I also use
Photoshop. What advantages would there be for me to make the upgrade (I
have OS 9.2.2 atm)? I have am imac 333 with 256 RAM with 9 GB. Will I
have any problems with my configuation if I did upgrade?

If you're happy with what you've got at the moment, you probably don't need to bother. It will probably run a bit slowly on your 333MHz iMac.

If you find some new cool music software that only runs under OS X, then it's probably worthwhile. You can always use classic apps under classic or (if you install both) reboot the machine under OS 9 to use older Apps. The other concern is if you have any hardware that doesn't yet have driver support under OS X.

Some Mac OS X music apps are listed at:

<http://www.versiontracker.com/mp/new_search.m?productDB=mac&mode=Quick&OS_Filter=MacOSX&search=music&x=18&y=9>

Have fun,
Shay
--
=========================== Shay Telfer ================================
Perth, Western Australia Technomancer It must be bunnies!
Opinions for hire [POQ]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] fnord