For some reason I can't post to WAMUG, but thought that given the recent
spate of messages regarding iinet, Bliink etc you may pass this on if you
think it helpful.

Today I received the DSL 300 modem for my Bliink account with iinet. I use
OS X on a G3 PowerBook. I wanted a connection on a line shared with a fax
machine. In order to do that, all I had to do was buy a double RJ12 plug
from Dick Smith. Installation was easy, even though not covered by the
manual that came with the kit because OS X has its own PPoE client as part
of the operating system. There was one problem with authentication and that
was solved by using my full email address in the "username" box, instead of
my user name.

Still coming to you via dial-up, I was very interested in this message.

We also have a fax sharing the line with the modem and we have done all the things mentioned. In addition one of the WA Solutions guys spent more than 1.5 hours here yesterday trying to connect to our new BLIINK account.

He brought his Titanium laptop which can connect from other locations. The only extra thing he achieved, which I had not, was the ability to ping the iinet DNS Server as well as the IP address (nothing else pingable). But he could not obtain the iinet home page at that address or do anything else. Lots of talk to a Mac expert from iinet, and to a friendly Internet guru, all to no avail.

I have now reloaded both OS X.1.2 and OS 9.2 after erasing the partitions. This because I fear something bad happened when I installed Virtual PC 5. I obeyed instructions and loaded it via OS X so it would run under either system but I had a great deal of trouble and eventually de-installed and re-installed in OS 9.2 before I could get it working.

Our WA Solutions friend will return and have another go in the near future.

Mind you I wonder if our troubles are because we sent a rude message to iinet about our account. We applied for ADSL on 14/6 and were told it would take 2-3 weeks for Telstra to check the suitability of the line. On the 18/6 our password was changed without telling us. This was extremely inconvenient as it was the day Graham's mother died. After a harrowing day I tried to send some emails and could not connect. I hung on to the support line for over 30 minutes with no answer and had to give up. Next day after a phone call it was changed back.

Eventually we were told on 24/6 that the account had been approved and that the modem would be sent to us with instructions. I sent an email asking that instructions for Mac would be sent. Answer: the instructions are the same for both PCs and Macs. UNTRUE the only instruction which might be construed as a Mac instructions says 'if you do not have a white or silver CD ring iinet'.

When the modem arrived on 28/6 we had a blue CD and after finding no READ ME stuff on it we rang and found it was superfluous. Everything is done via your browser. We were still recovering from the trauma of the funeral so we did not try until Monday 1/7, list members know what happened - zilch.

Then we found we were being billed for the new account from 18/6 when we did not even have the modem until 28/6. We sent an email mentioning the nit-wits who run the place and that charging for a service before it was supplied was fraud. This may be the reason we are being shut out!

The accounts people have now agreed to only charge us from the time we first connected! This was 1/7 as far as they are concerned, though the link is still useless. And they have agreed to reverse the charge for our extra mail box which we no longer need. Despite telling them we no longer needed it they took the money for it on 30/6, even though our latest invoice indicated it would be taken on 12/7.

We have not even mentioned that one of their support staff told me I needed a filter for every device on the line. I told him the only things on the line are the fax and the modem. I was told 2 filters were necessary and so we now have a spare one. I had no idea that the filters filtered out the ADSL frequencies and thus were anathema to the ADSL modem!

Oh how I wish we had 'bitten the bullet' and abandoned our email address and gone to Highway One.

Diana