At 7:43 PM -0700 6/7/02, z brubruff wrote:
>
>I disagree, we learn more than that.
>Until I got wild freshly caught Box Turtles many
>years ago, I had no idea they, lowly reptiles, had
>different personalities, and preference for different
>foods, to the degree that some preferred mostly meat
>or insect diet and some wanted mostly fruit/vegetable
>diet.

...and do you have evidence that this 'preference' for different 
foods is a result of "different personalities" rather than a specific 
need to satisfy a possibly dietary lack? There are many factors 
involved in keeping reptiles in captivity as I'm sure you're aware. I 
also hope you're aware that if an animal is lacking a particular 
vitamin or component of its diet it will seek to rectify this by 
eating suitable foodstuffs (=specific hunger). I still see 
insectivorous reptiles being fed nothing but mealworms and 
herbivorous species being fed little more than lettuce. If you 
provide your animals with a wide variety of foodstuffs then good for 
you (but remember, it's still not a 'wild' diet) and if you succeed 
in satisfying your animal's total dietary requirements, then I'm sure 
your different preferences will disappear (unless you're looking at 
ontogenetic differences etc).

At 7:43 PM -0700 6/7/02, z brubruff wrote:
>
>This 'study in captivity' tells u a lot about the
>animals in the wild. What they eat, how they behave,
>that they are individuals and need to be treated as
>such.

Really? Apart from the obvious areas such as morphology etc, studies 
in captivity tell us how wild animals (or captive bred) animals 
behave in captivity. Again, unless you provide identical conditions 
to 'the wild' then what you're seeing is an artifact of captive 
conditions. You will learn about what an animal eats (OUT OF WHAT 
FOOD YOU PROVIDE), how they behave (WHEN CAPTIVE) and hopefully, that 
the best way to treat a captive animal is to NOT keep it captive.

Cheers

Phil

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]