It is politically correct to partition the drive and I have run multi-partition drives for MANY, many years.

However, since installing OS X 16 months ago I went against the advice and for the first time ever ran a single partition drive. Bottom line is that I've never had a problem that has made me consider reverting to multi partitions.

Today I installed my new Travelstar GN-X drive (it is FAST!) on my TiPB and after procrastinating at length, decided to stay with the single partition.

The important thing is to keep your drive (whether it be single or multi-partition) in pristine condition. Do all the regular maintainence things and set aside the time to run DiskWarrior regularly. Make backups part of your routine and if you can afford it, buy Retrospect and a spare hard drive and automate this process.