I've never bothered partitioning anything.......then again, I am sometimes politically incorrect! Seriously though, I agree with Keith regarding regular maintenance. I use the best of Diskwarrior, Techtool3 and Nortons to keep my machine purring.....slowly, but steadily!! (G3 with OS 9.2 and OS X.......2 drives, with both systems on the smaller/standard 4 GB drive, second drive for storage, then transfer to CD). I have set up other machines to include a drive partition around 650 MB or so......when filled, it is then burnt to CD).

Phil

It is politically correct to partition the drive and I have run
multi-partition drives for MANY, many years.

However, since installing OS X 16 months ago I went against the advice
and for the first time ever ran a single partition drive. Bottom line
is that I've never had a problem that has made me consider reverting to
multi partitions.

Today I installed my new Travelstar GN-X drive (it is FAST!) on my TiPB
and after procrastinating at length, decided to stay with the single
partition.

The important thing is to keep your drive (whether it be single or
multi-partition) in pristine condition. Do all the regular maintainence
things and set aside the time to run DiskWarrior regularly. Make
backups part of your routine and if you can afford it, buy Retrospect
and a spare hard drive and automate this process.