on 01/08/02 13:53, Anthony Briggs at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> At 1:41 PM +0800 1/8/02, Neil Houghton wrote:
>> 5hours later bigpond again times me out and I now have
>> 37.5Mb of 'MacOSXUpdateComb 10.1.5.dmg' sat on my desktop.
> 
>> My question is: is there any way to resume the download at the 37.5Mb point
>> that it quit at; the remaining 8Mb or so should be no problem even at 33600.
> 
> One easy way, although it involves the command line:
> 
> 1. open the terminal app
> 2. type 'cd desktop' to change to the desktop (where your
> half-downloaded file is stored).
> 3. type 'wget -c http://path.to.the/update/MacOSXUpdateComb
> 10.1.5.dmg'. The -c is for continue, although wget should detect this
> automatically.
> 
> This should resume the download where it left off.
Sorry, didn't explain too well, my powerbook which is my only reliable
internet connection, is running OS 9.1 and this is where I have downloaded
to.
Your above instructions sound as if they apply to OSX? However if I
understand you correctly, I could do the above from my iMac running OSX
(even though the connection is very erratic, I guess I could keep repeating
the above and eventually, after many connections & disconnections, I would
eventually get there?)

I can easily transfer the half-downloaded file from the powerbook to the
iMac. However , I have never tried using the terminal app, I presume it is
the application in the utilities folder called terminal are there
anypotential pitfalls to be aware off?

If there are no methods under OS 9.1 to complete the download then I will
give this a try. 

Many thanks

Neil
> Hope this helps,
> 
> Anthony

-- 
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia
Tel: +61 8 9841 6063
Fax: +61 8 9841 6137
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]