We have the same problem frequently at school ( 8 epson 740's)

The problem seems to be that over time the slide bar that carries the ink
cartridge assembly gets dry.
This causes the cartridge assembly to not quite return to home base.
When the printer starts up it recognises that the assembly is not in the
home position and seems to assume it must be at the other end so it sends it
back! (rapidly) in that seemingly self destruct type manouvre.

Solution
Slide a piece of paper around the chrome slide bar ( if that is what it is
called) so that nothing else will get wet when you give it a quick spray
with CRC or similar. (I use Ballistol)

or dab some on with a cotton bud or similar.

So far we've had 100% success.

Cheers
pmarty

Peter Martinson
Eaton Primary School

Dark Servant wrote:

> My Epson Stylus 740 printer is currently experiencing some problems of
> physical nature. When I turn it on the printing block (part with the
> ink cartridges) moves across the bar and slams its-self back into the
> side of the printer while making a strange wir noise. As a result it
> refuses print commands. I have been using ink refills. Would getting
> new ink cartridges fix the problem (I doubt it).
>
> I'm almost certain I will need to take it somewhere to be fixed but it's
> worth checking on the list anyway.
>
> Ruben A. Franke
>
> -- The WA Macintosh User Group Mailing List --
> Archives - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/archives.html>
> Guidelines - <http://www.wamug.org.au/mailinglist/guidelines.html>
> Unsubscribe - <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/