I reconnected and through the speaker I could hear the dial tone. Before it started dialling the number I suddenly heard the modem noise (when the modem at the other end answers) then my connection bar at the top right suddenly displayed connected before it had even finished.
Then what was even stranger (apart from my dialup taking just a few seconds) Internet Connect says that the modem is idle. And that "apparently" I'm not connected to anything.
If the modem attempts to reconnect, it's possible that the dial tone can confuse it into thinking it's a carrier and connect to it. (300 baud modems can connect to people whistling, white noise, or pretty much anything :). It's also possible for the software and the modem to get out of sync, which is why it thinks it's connected.
To add to the weirdness. When I started downloading the new version of lime wire. It started downloading then half way through I suddenly received a message asking me if I'd like to save it to file or configure a helper (as if it hadn't started downloading yet)
This is most likely totally unrelated to your line problems.
Bizarre..... I think there are some very strange problems with this phone line. Telstra tries to tell me nothings wrong. Why does that surprise me? I have picked up the phone at times and have been able to hear other peoples conversation as clear as if I had rang them. The technician says this is common so be careful if you say something private on the phone because thanks to Telstra's wonderful new technologies and crossed lines your next door neighbour and ECHELON can listen to your phone calls.........Telstra - Making life easier.
ECHELON can listen to your phone calls pretty much regardless of Telstra's technologies (well, unless they roll out PGPfone) :)
Have fun, Shay -- =========================== Shay Telfer ================================ Perth, Western Australia Technomancer It must be bunnies! Opinions for hire [POQ] [EMAIL PROTECTED] fnord

