hello all,

G4 400MHz Ti powerbook, running OS9.1.
I was just online, running off mains adaptor (with battery fully charged).
The energy saver settings are:
    -for power adaptor - slider to better performance,
     sleep at 15 mins, display at 5 mins
    -for battery - slider to midpoint between better conservation
     & better performance,
     sleep at 7.5 mins, display at 3 mins

 Whilst I was actively using the machine (a page was loading as I recall)
all of a sudden the machine just shut down - no message, no sound, no
warning. When I rebooted, I got the usual messages about machine not
shutting down correctly but the a message box telling me I had a "Network
Time Error" with the clock set to a year before 1973. I opened the Date &
Time control panel and found the date was 01/01/1904.

I have reset the clock (using apple asia time server) and all seems OK at
present.

I have never encountered a problem like this before and so I'm worried:
Is this likely to be a one-off glitch or is it indicative of deeper
problems. Any feedback from anyone who has experienced a similar occurrence
would be appreciated.

**Sudden thought
I've also just realised I've just had two strange emails (I mean different
from the usual strange emails!!):

(1) This was received when I logged on this morning (prior to my glitch)
with a Subject "This number will be decommissioned":

> Dear customer,
> 
> Our records show that your modem recently dialled (08) 9842 7100
> to connect to iiNet.  Please note that this number is due to be
> decommissioned at 9am on Monday, 16th of July, 2001.
> 
> The new number is (08) 9843 0000.
> 
> To dial this new number your dialup software will need to
> be changed to
> 
Which is interesting since I have never used iinet. The email purports to be
sent at 06/09/03 13:20  from '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' and has an
attachment called 'db1.mdb.exe'. I assume that this is probably a virus but
as an .exe pc file should not affect my mac? (I am not running any PC
emulation software)

(2) This was received during my current session (after rebooting and
resetting the time) with a subject "Welcome to Outlook Express 5":

> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
> charset=3Dwindows-1252">
> <STYLE>
> font{font-family:"Verdana";font-size:8pt;co

The email purports to be sent at 08/09/03 11:08  from 'Microsoft Outlook
Express Team <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>' and has an attachment called 'db1.mdb.scr'. I
note the similarity in file name to attachment (1) and assume that this is
also probably a virus but could this affect my mac (I have NOT attempted to
open the attachment)?

Could these emails be related to my problem or just a coincidence?

Is it worth using BBEdit Lite to take a peek at the attachments or is it
safer to just delete both messages ASAP.

Any advice gratefully recieved

TIA

Neil

-- 
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia
Tel: +61 8 9841 6063
Fax: +61 8 9841 6137
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]