On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 14:26, Bob Howells wrote:
> In my wisdom I thought if I formatted cells in an Excel worksheet
> And the format was for example
> 
> Number = number

Yes.

> Then when I do a sort on that column which is all " formatted"
> the same way, the numbers should be in sequence .

Yes.

> Not so ! 

No.

> I have two series of numbers, one set in sequence, the other at the end
> Of the queue ! ?

Because one series are likely numbers, the other is likely text.

> But what and why does that occur ....please ?

You can tell if a number is text or not by the ' at the beginning of the
entry (visible in the formula bar).

Cheers,


Onno Benschop 

Connected via Optus B3 at S15:51'18" - E128:45'05" (Crossing Falls, Kununurra, 
WA)
-- 
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno.. 
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno.. 
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno.. 

Proudly supported by Skipper Trucks, Highway1, Concept AV, Sony Central, Dalcon
ITmaze - ABN: 56 178 057 063 - ph: 04 1219 8888 - onno at itmaze dot com dot au