Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't have it both ways. you can't mount a mac formatted ipod into a Pc and have the hard disk mount and if you format it for PC then you won't be able to use it on your mac (there is no utility to go backwards). The only way I can think of is to use a utility like macopener2000 to mount it. take a look:
<http://www.dataviz.com/products/macopener/index.html>


sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If it makes you feel any better its even worse if you had a Creative Nomad Jukebox Zen (that uses proprietary software to mount the HD)

Dave


On Thursday, Sep 25, 2003, at 05:03 Australia/Perth, WAMUG Mailing List wrote:

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:53:17 +0800
Subject: Re: iPod to PC
From: Ryan Jay Schotte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On 2003-09-24 21:05, "Dark Servant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Does anyone know how I can transfer files from my iPod to a PC?
I only recently tried to do it thinking that it wouldn't be too much
trouble.  I remember that they made the iPods so they could be used on
Mac and PC.  I thought that meant they would be cross platform but it
seems even a simple thing like HD formatting gets in the way.  I'm
really surprised that code for reading Mac formatted drives has not
been programmed into the Windows OS yet.

Any light anyone?

Windows compatibility has varied over the course of the last few major
changes to the iPod. It now seems to be automatic, but in the previous
design (the one with actual buttons) it didn't seem to be so, and sometimes required the iPod to be reformatted. (Maybe they all ship as FAT disks now?)

Some suggestions based on what I've seen of Windows and iPods...

If Windows doesn't see it as a drive once plugged in, then make sure you have installed the iPod Windows Software from Apple and use the iPod Manager
(or something like that) to enable Disk Mode. If that fails, then try
installing MusicMatch, and using that to enable Disk Mode.

I've seen it work on Windows XP recently, but I suspect it will be much
nicer once iTunes gets ported over to the dark side...

Ry



-----------------------------------------------------------------
"The future belongs to those who prepare for it today." Malcolm X



-------------------------------------------------------------
"To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person." - Bruce Lee