On Tuesday, September 30, 2003, at 07:54 AM, Vladimir James wrote:

Is anyone else using Nisus Writer Express?

Actually, I'm not really using it, as it isn't functional. It takes forty
five minutes to open a 500 page RTF document (no graphics or fancy
stuff), and that only gives me a blank window. Twenty minutes later I'm
shown the copy. Fifty minutes before I could work on the doc! I changed
one word and saved it. That took seven minutes. Tried another document of
the same size. Same old drill -- the spinning beachball and the Express
progress bar (progress?) ad nauseum. Mellel 1.6.5.1 opened a formatted
copy of the same file in just over a minute.



I agree with about Nisus Writer Express. Although I haven't actually got to the point of trying to open a 500 page document with it, nothing I have seen in it has encouraged me to do much more than explore its interface. Certainly, it's no replacement for its MacOS 9 progenitor.

Mellel, on the other hand, is very promising, and gets more so with each update. Still not ready for full time use, IMHO, but it's getting there.

--
Peter Hinchliffe
Apwin Computer Services            FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth,                                      ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Western Australia       Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913
--------------------------------------------------------------------
       Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.