I emailed DOLA about their site "Skyview W.A." and this is their reply....

     It is also important to note that we are not excluding Macintosh
     users, the ECW format does not work under UNIX and, I would presume,
     Linux or any other operating system either.  The reason is that a
     plug-in is required to read the ECW image.

     Unfortunately for Macintosh, UNIX and Linux users, ER-Mapper decided
     to develop their technology on the platform that provides the widest
     audience (Microsoft Windows).  ER-Mapper are still developing the
     technology, they are a small company (WA based), who do not have a lot
     of resources or capital.

The ECW 2.6 SDK (Software Developers Kit) makes mention of a Mac plug-in

<http://www.ermapper.com/document/doc.aspx?doc_id=60> (document from June 2003)

They also had an SDK for Mac OS 8.6 back in 2001 (I've got the SDK for it). It's possible no-one wrote a browser plug-in for it though.

Have fun,
Shay
--
=========================== Shay  Telfer ================================
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  Join Team Sungroper, race the
 Opinions for hire              [POQ]     2003 World Solar Challenge
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]         fnord     <http://sungroper.asn.au/>