On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 15:41, Onno Benschop wrote:

> > its just going to sleep and losing the lease everytime. 
> 
> These two statements are contradictory, because a sleeping computer is
> not on the network.

Ok well when my windows machine goes to sleep it has network
connectivity immediately upon waking. Besides what use is the "wake on
Lan" option if the machine is no longer contactable on the network??

> 
> > When it wakes up it takes about 30
> > seconds before I get the lease renewed. 
> 
> Sounds pretty reasonable.
> 
> > Its also not another machine
> > taking the IP because a) I am using it at work and this would mean that
> > someone is getting a new lease everytime my laptop goes to sleep, and b)
> > The leases have a lifetime of 3 weeks...
> 
> Well that all depends...
> 
> DHCP is dynamic. The server could release the lease if your Macintosh
> announces to the server that it doesn't need the lease anymore - which
> is what a good network citizen AFAIK should do...

Not in my opinion, and that is exactly what I believe is happening and
what I want to prevent.

> Just because the database doesn't change, or no-one else takes up the
> free address - even if the IP address is hard-wired to the MAC address,
> doesn't mean that the lease has been released...
> 
> Now, if you can convince your admin to give you a permanently leased
> address, then you could change your address to fixed, but that would
> defeat the purpose of using DHCP.

I am the network admin ;) and I would rather figure out why this is
happening and fix it rather than give myself a fixed IP...but it is
quite annoying

Maybe I will just give myself a fixed IP until I can find a
resolution...hmmm

Adam.
Senior Network Engineer ;)