On 11/1/04 5:04 AM, "Nathalie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi: 
> 
> I am overseas at the moment viditing a freind who would like to purchase new
> mac laptop for a specific purpose. Those of you who know more about sounds
> than I (which is anybody, because I don't use my machine for sound) may be
> able to send me a "sample configuration" of what might work for her based on
> your experience? 

> I suggested a mac laptop (powerbook?) and iSight (which would incorporate
> video and sound), with a microphone (once she can clip to her shirt) to
> capture sound. She can then burn the files onto a CD or DVD, and there are
> machines which can burn 10 identical CDs at once (is this true? I think I saw
> 

> Can she use iMovie for this? Or will these one-hour sessions be too memory
> heavy and resource hungry? Any suggestions on the best way to do this?
> 
> Regards, 
> nathalie 
> 

Hi Nathalie!

You hit the nail on the head!  The next version of iMovie, which is due on
the shelves next week, allows recording via an iSight.  A 12" Powerbook with
a Superdrive will be ideal for what she wants (other than the Powerbooks
having a slow DVD-R burner built in).

Rough guide for recording is 13Gb per hour, so she should have no problems
with the amount of space in the Powerbook.

Via the Sound System Preference, your friend will be able to select the
external microphone as the sound input.

As far as making multiple CD/DVD copies, it may be more cost effective to
take it a place that professionally duplicates.  Burn one copy, then take it
off to be burnt (if she is doing saying, greater than 5 copies).  If she
were in Perth, Procopy would be an example.  I figure that you must be in
Miami, Fl (wild stab in the dark!), so there would be numerous businesses
that would do the job.

Seeya

Rod!