On 28/01/2004, at 6:51 PM, Reg Whitely wrote:

Lindsay

I think you'll breath very well without it. It's a waste of money IMHO, especially here in Oz. You can subscribe for free month with no problems if you'd like to try it out. I've used iChatAV with AOL free account so that's no bonus. Others on this list might use it for email address, virus scan, web access and external storage but I question whether it's worth the expense.

Regards

Reg

On 28 Jan 2004, at 4:22pm, Lindsay Adams wrote:

Hi All
Am new to the Mac world and am wondering what value there is in a US$99 .mac account.. Does one have to subscribe to get the security updates etc, or is it just another email server? Of course listening to the Apple people it seems that I will be unable to breathe without one...
Thanks
Lindsay


I'm almost with Reg on this, but not quite. My main reason for keeping my .Mac subscription is the ability to publish iPhoto libraries to the web. The facility of this is so great I'm more than happy to pay for it. Add to this the number of small commercial apps and games I've been able to download for free, and I feel I've got my money's worth (Virex especially, which I'm very glad I didn't fork out money for). However, if the latest crippled "offer" of Keynote is a sign of things to come, I might be pushed over the edge to Reg's side.

BTW - I would not even consider a .Mac account without a broadband connection.

--
Peter Hinchliffe
Apwin Computer Services            FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth,                                      ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Western Australia       Phone (618) 9332 6482    Fax (618) 9332 0913
--------------------------------------------------------------------
       Mac because I prefer it -- Windows because I have to.