Thanks Gordon,

I always have backups, I love my Mac and trust it as
far as computers go but I don't trust it that much.

As for needing to pull the plug on a regular basis, if
that happened it would be time for a new computer.

Like you I was under the impression that it wasn't
safe but not all that likely to cause problems. My
main worry is finding out if these sparks are just
because I pulled the plug or could be something more
sinister.

I guess I'll be on the lookout for a new hardrive
then. Damn! Well, I always wanted an excuse to get
something big enough to let me MP3 all my CDs!

Thanks for the advice,
Kelly

The locking up, with grinding noises sounds to me