This all seems very complicated. If, like me, you're used to the
user-friendly old Mac way, before we had to worry about things like unix,
terminal & the like, check out some of the web-hosting that include a
browser based control panel that makes uploading files, setting up email
accounts, password-protecting directories etc simpler than setting up an OSX
Mac :o)

I use hosting shop and chose a cPanel Junior account.
<http://www.hostingshop.com.au/cpanel_junior.htm>
It looks like it has gone up to $139 a year (I paid $125) and the traffic
has been reduced to 2GB/month (4GB when I signed up a year & a half ago)
but, as that includes my domain name registration charges, it still seems
pretty reasonable to me. I am sure that there are other providers offering
the same sort of interface.

All site management is done by logging into the control panel which has
icons for the following functions:
    €Mail                €Webmail           €Change Password
    €Parked Domains      €Addon Domains     €FTP Manager
    €File Manager        €Disk usage        €Backup
    €Password Protect Directories           €Error pages
    €Subdomains          €MySQL Databases   €SSH/Shell Access
    €Redirects           €Frontpage Extensions
    €Web/FTP Stats       €Raw Access Logs   €Raw Log Manager
    €Error log           €Subdomain Stats   €Search Engine Submit
    €Chatroom            €PhpMyChat         €Bulletin Board
    €CGI Center          €Scripts Library   €Agora Shopping Cart
    €Cron jobs           €Network Tools     €MIME Types
    €Apache Handlers     €Manage OpenPGP Keys
    €HotLink Protection  €Index Manager     €IP Deny Manager

I have only had cause to use a few of these so far but in terms of setting
up my first website it has all been very easy.

To upload files, for example, click on the "file manager", you see your
sites top level folder structure, click on folders to navigate to your
target folder (eg "www") and click the "upload files" button you can then
browse your Mac's hard drive and select the files you want to upload - you
can select up to 12 files at a time and a check box gives you the option to
overwrite existing files of the same name - then press the "upload" button.
That's it, all done from IE or safari, no FTP software required. A message
confirms successful upload. You can also delete, rename, move and copy files
& folders + change permissions all from the same window.

There are also support forums which include tutorials on how to do certain
things (set up email accounts, mySQL databases etc) but so far I've found it
all pretty self explanatory.

As you can probably tell, I've been very happy with it and it's all been a
lot easier than I expected - not often I can say that about computers
nowadays even using Macs :(

I realise the above may not be too helpful if you're already locked into a
hosting package which doesn't offer it - but if not check it out.

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton
Albany, Western Australia