In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
on Sat, May 01, 2004 at 09:35:20PM +0700, Angus Russell wrote:
> I just had to perform a clean install with Panther and have updated to
> 10.3.3, and now find that I have no classic system files.
> 
> Can someone tell me how to rectify this problem please? I tried my classic
> install disk but said I could not install other than with a  clean install.

I will soon need to install a Classic environment on a computer that has
only Mac OS X, so I am interested in how you fare. My first thought is:
is there any problem with a clean installation? I would not think it
would be any problem, since the Mac OS 9 System Folder and Applications
folders are independent of Mac OS X's. The only hitch might be that the
computer could start booting straight into Mac OS 9 instead of Mac OS X,
but that's easily fixed in System Preferences. As far as I know, you
should just be able to install Mac OS 9. When you run it under Mac OS
X's Classic environment, I am under the impression Mac OS X will perform
some updates for you (i.e. integrating Mac OS 9 with Mac OS X Classic a
bit better) so you don't even have to worry about having Mac OS 9.2.2
(although that is what I will be installing). Anyway, I don't *know* if
it is safe to do this -- I am just speculating.