On 2 May 2004, at 8:46 AM, James Devenish wrote:

I will soon need to install a Classic environment on a computer that has
only Mac OS X, so I am interested in how you fare. My first thought is:
is there any problem with a clean installation? I would not think it
would be any problem, since the Mac OS 9 System Folder and Applications
folders are independent of Mac OS X's. The only hitch might be that the
computer could start booting straight into Mac OS 9 instead of Mac OS X,
but that's easily fixed in System Preferences. As far as I know, you
should just be able to install Mac OS 9. When you run it under Mac OS
X's Classic environment, I am under the impression Mac OS X will perform
some updates for you (i.e. integrating Mac OS 9 with Mac OS X Classic a
bit better) so you don't even have to worry about having Mac OS 9.2.2
(although that is what I will be installing). Anyway, I don't *know* if
it is safe to do this -- I am just speculating.

If you have the whole of Panther and OS 9 on a DVD, it's just a case of running the 'Install Applications and Classic Support'. However if it's in several CDs you do have to do a clean install of OS 9, after starting up from the CD. This is what I had to do when installing Jaguar on an old G3 (I decided to install OS X first). After you do this and run Classic under OS X it should update the system files in the System Folder.

Regards,

Chris Taylor