I have an old iMac - from when they first came out,
My screen went blank, the thing turned off and wouldnt re-boot. But the age
of miracles is not yet past - my extended warranty had a month to run!
It took ages to repair and finally came back with a new screen and new
analogue board - estimated cost would have been $900 + $600.
I'm horrified at this - have others had similar experience with this type
and cost of repair.

Be grateful it was under warranty. That's pretty much what they charge for these things if you have to pay for them yourself. Apple usually warehouses spare parts for every model for around 7 years or so at least, and that costs money (especially if they wind up with parts left over at the end of it all).

Of course the other option is that you pick them up secondhand and install them yourself.

BTW, When you say 'from when they first came out', you mean that it's about 6 years old?

Both Apple and I would have been better off if the iMac had been dumped and
I'd been given an eMac instead!
My previous macs have all gone on for ever - this one had other minor
problems and all the expensive hardware - printer, scanner, had problems. I
thought the point of things being much more than those for PCs was that they
were Mac reliable.

Remember, your iMac is a Mac, plus a monitor built-in. That's two components that can fail (especially the high voltage analogue circuitry in the monitor) Cheap crappy PC monitors fail all the time.

I've never had a Mac that
* became as obsolete (in terms of being able to run the latest OS or applications) as fast as a PC * was less reliable than the PC's we get at work (and we get reasonably reliable ones!)
* required more effort to maintain than a PC
* was less fun to use than a PC.

Have fun,
Shay
--
=========================== Shay  Telfer ================================
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  Join Team Sungroper in the
 Opinions for hire              [POQ]     2005 World Solar Challenge
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]         fnord     <http://sungroper.asn.au/>