On 6/5/04 12:39 PM, "Shay Telfer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I have an old iMac - from when they first came out,
>> My screen went blank, the thing turned off and wouldnt re-boot. But the age
>> of miracles is not yet past - my extended warranty had a month to run!
>> It took ages to repair and finally came back with a new screen and new
>> analogue board - estimated cost would have been $900 + $600.
>> I'm horrified at this - have others had similar experience with this type
>> and cost of repair.
> 
> Be grateful it was under warranty. That's pretty much what they
> charge for these things if you have to pay for them yourself. Apple
> usually warehouses spare parts for every model for around 7 years or
> so at least, and that costs money (especially if they wind up with
> parts left over at the end of it all).
> 

Unless Apple have increased the price of those particular parts enormously
in the last year, I think the price is a bit inflated.  From memory, an
analogue board for those models were about $300-350 retail, with 1 hour's
labour (about $110).  Unsure why the screen should have been replaced
though.  In all the tray load iMacs I have repaired where they don't turn
on, 95% of them have been just analogue boards.  I have never replaced a
screen that hasn't been physically damaged (like the iMac was dropped).  Not
to say that the screen didn't need replacing in this case, but I just find
it unusual :-)

Lucky it was under warranty!

Seeya

Rod!