Hi all,

I have found (to my sorrow) that I am going to have to get hold of a Windoze
capable notebook ASAP. This is required so that I can access data from a PC
to use within my own Mac software [hence this post].

Specifically, I need this so that I can run MS Access (by which I mean:
1970s technology, wrapped in a modern M$ BloatWare Environment) to get data
from a regular source. I also need it to test Windoze builds of some
software that I have been writing.

I note that there are MANY, MANY options available in the PC notebook
market. What I need is as follows:

- Budget: $1,800 - $2,500 (unless there are compelling reasons why I need to
spend more, or preferably less if performance is likely to be OK).

- Windoze XP Professional

- Preferably Pentium M or similar - in other words, something designed for
notebooks that does not a) drain your battery in 8 seconds, or b) can cook
breakfast on the CPU

- At least 256MB RAM

- Ethernet, video out, USB, a DVD Reader-CD Reader/Writer, maybe Firewire

Given similar configurations and/or pricing, I would be influenced in
relation to screen quality, speed, cuteness etc.

Any ideas on products and suppliers for this one? I'm at a bit of a loss at
he moment, given that there are so may players in the market. I need to buy
immediately, and will also need an academic version of MS Office (whichever
version has Access on it). Of course, this latter issue can be dealt with
separately, if required.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Ta,

Andrew.

------------------------------------------------------------
Seriousness is just stupidity sent to college.
- P.J. O'Rourke
------------------------------------------------------------