James,

I'm running 10.3.5 on four machines of differing ages. No problems. Have you
done:
Disk Utility repair permissions
Disk Utility disk repair
delete caches (There is a way to automate this, but when needed I have just
dragged to the trash)
daily, weekly and monthly periodic repairs? (These last three should
automatically be done in the weenie hours, but aren't done if your machine
is off or asleep. In Terminal, try sudo periodic daily ... then weekly and
monthly)

HTH
John
--