John Taylor wrote:

G4 15 inch PowerBook /OS10.3.5 / GarageBand / iTunes/ WireTap

I'm intrigued, and would love to record my old vinyl records to CD. However I've tried the above and it won't work. Obviously Steven wants to do the same with a tape.

The input from my CD player or HiFi amplifier is analogue (output via RCA plugs). If I connect it to the sound input port of my G4 PowerBook, the sound control panel shows the input levels going up and down, but nothing comes from the internal speakers. It strikes me that my Mac won't recognise analogue sound.

That sounds odd, excuse the pun. It may just be something simple there.
The main thing is the input level meter.
Your mac certainly will record analogue sound IF it has an analog sound port, most macs do. It is the 3.5mm Stereo Mini Jack port. It looks much like a headphone jack. Not sure why the sound isnt coming out the speakers, not even sure it should, I dont actually do it that way myself.
Feedback may well occur if there is play-through anyway.
I record a session, then play it back later.

WireTap will only record sounds the computer is playing, presumably that is audible from the speakers, to an aiff file (whatever that is). It presumably converts digital sound from one form to another.

My old system 7.6 computer would allow the recording of shorts snippets of sound from a microphone (great for creating your own rude alert sounds, but that's about all). System 10 won't even do that.

I regularly use Audio In:

http://tc.versiontracker.com/product/redir/lid/313015/audio-in-103.hqx

without any audio issues, it sometimes crashes but always after the recording is complete, so no big deal for freeware really.

Good Luck

Paul