i'm using motu's digital perfomer as recording software (professional multichannel recording/editing) it works with the powerbooks internal sound sys very well and records @ 44.1k 16bit for cd's
i transfer alot of vinils for radio productions.......
check the settings of audio/midi setup & also your recording software, there are places where you have to tick (or remove) to enable play through, im sure the powerbook does not cause fluktuations in sound level the line in is set to -10db which is the usual line level of home equipment..................

good luck        James