On 26/03/2005, at 9:19 AM, Antony N. Lord wrote:
Dual 2GHz G5 10.3.8

My G5 seems to behave very odd at startup - it boots, loads and the desktop pictures appear.

I then get the "pizza wheel of death" for a considerable period of time (2-3 minutes +) before all the icons appear and I can get down to business.

Try deleting fontTablesAnnex. I read somewhere that update 10.3.6 introduced a new version of ATS framework (v1.8.5) that fixed some font bugs and introduced a new one. If you have a heap of PostScript fonts in your System, they are each scanned at login and it may be that each scan adds to and bloats the fontTablesAnnex cache. It is hoped Update 10.3.9, due 'real soon now', will include ATS.framework 1.8.6 which might fix this.

~/System/Library/Caches/fontTablesAnnex

No guarantees. I'm just passing on what I read somewhere.