Definitely SPAM. eBay don't have a Billing Department as they aren't involved in transactions. Also you can bid on different machines in different locations so of course the IP wanders and bids are made from different ones. 'Offline', yet online verification...hmm Says it all for me :P.

Regards Christian
On 22/05/2005, at 11:07 AM, Stewart Woods wrote:

        From:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject:        OT: Spam query
        Date:   22 May 2005 10:19:10 AM
        To:       wamug@wamug.org.au

Hi all,

This morning I received this email, purportedly from ebay:

Dear eBay Member,
We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your eBay account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account was used by a third party without your authorization. If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual login attempts may have been initiated by you
The login attempt was made from:
IP address: 172.25.210.66
ISP Host: cache-66.proxy.aol.com

By now, we used many techniques to verify the accuracy of the information our users provide us when they register on the Site. However, because user verification on the Internet is difficult, eBay cannot and does not confirm each user's purported identity. Thus, we have established an offline verification system o help you evaluate with who you are dealing with. below:

https://arribada.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?PlaceCCInfo

If your account information is not updated within 48 hours then your ability to sell or bid on eBay will become restricted.

Thank you

The eBay Billing Deptartment .

I was just wondering if this seems slightly suspect (I know fake bank emails have a similar kind of content) or if it's kosher.

"eBay billing deptartment?"
"verification system o help you evaluate with who you are dealing with"

Any thoughts are appreciated

cheers
stew