Tony, if you're using Mail in 10.4.x, are you trying to attach the Attach button in Mail's main window?

You need to bring up a new message window, then select Customize Toolbar... from the View menu to be able to select the Attach button.

If you're already doing this and its not available, then something has gone astray and you may need to reinstall Mail.

Cheers,

Mike