It is likely that the reason the new window does not appear is because
Safari is blocking pop up windows.  Try turning this off in the Safari menu
or by typing cmd-k.  I discovered this when using the Bankwest site and
switching (momentarily) to Firefox.  Firefox asked me if I wanted to allow
the particular site to bring up pop ups - a nice little feature.

Bankwest produces a pop up when you want to view past statements and Safari
just wouldn't do it.  Turn block pop ups off and it works like a champ.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Greg