From: Peter N Lewis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Thursday, 12 January 2006 11:30 AM
To: MacGeeks List
Subject: Software Update, finding the package?

Perhaps someone has an idea for this.  My dad has a shiny new iMac (PPC
of course), but unfortunately he ignored my advise and went with Telstra
as a ADSL provider, and so he has a measly 200MG/month limit. Software Updates probably exceed that each month all by themselves!

I find it incomprehensible that providers who provide such low-cap services don't offer local unmetered mirrors for updates to major operating systems, games, and popular software packages.

Even hen they do, they seem to go to no effort to ensure that vendors are aware of this and include them in the automatic mirror selection. Why not just host an Akamai node?

Oh, yeah ... they wouldn't be able to rip off customers who don't understand that 200MB is barely anything in this world of 100MB OS updates and multi-megabyte web pages.

--
Craig Ringer