Pennefather
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 11:52 AM
To: WAMUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: telstra bigpond cable

Hugh

We're running a VoIP business for residential customers and have come
across
Bigpond cable a number of times and the trouble customers have plugging
our
phone adapter in.  What we have found is that Bigpond cable only
supports a
single device - either the Ethernet port or USB, not simultaneously.
The
cable modem usually supports simultaneous connections but Bigpond
doesn't.

So, we are advising our customers to buy broadband routers if they want
connect more than one device.  You can buy these with wireless
integrated.
We have had good experiences with Linksys and Netgear - Belkin and Dlink
are
OK. Even an Apple Airport Express would do the job (I think they have a
WAN
and a LAN port) but you would need a switch to provide more than one
Ethernet port.

A good source of support is www.whirlpool.net.au - there are numerous
Bigpond cable support forums (fora?).

Good luck

Greg

> From: Hugh Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:06:40 +0800
> Subject: telstra bigpond cable
>
> Hi, I know internet connections and specifically providers are a
> recurring theme here, but I have a few very specific questions as I am
> considering connecting to bigpond cable. Current set up is imac G5,
imac
> snow (G3), PS2 and ibm laptop. Laptop and PS2 are not on network, and
> imacs are hardwired together (length of cable running down hallway and
> up stairs, not pretty!)G5 is on dial up. House has cable points (one
has
> foxtel connected, others are not used, but are connected).
>
> 1/. How hard is it to "self install" bigpond cable wireless modems? (
> the website says that self install is not supported for macs?)
> 2/. Does anyone know what the modem is that bigpond uses? ( there is
no
> clues on the website and I wonder if it is just cable in wireless out,
> or whether there are also some actual output plugs?)

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and
privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any review,
use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you are
not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the
intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all
copies of this message.