Hi Severin,

I'm not sure of  having a solution to your problem, but recently I bought a
digital camera using SD cards and went along buying 3 x 512MB SD (by San
Disk), and to my disarray the card reader refused to mount the new disk on
the desktop.

The card reader is a Transcend USB 2.0 card reader which until then was
reading smaller memory-sized SDs and Sony Memory Discs with no problems. But
no go with my SanDisk 512MB, whether the reader was connected via my USB hub
or directly to the G5.

I could however download the photos by connecting the camera directly to the
Mac, but that was not practical for me.

I bought a San Disk ImageMate 12-in-1 Reader/Writer, and this did the trick
and so far has worked faultlessly.

Wonder if possibly your card reader is not the one failing for some reason?
Maybe you could borrow someone else's card reader to see if it makes a
difference.

Sorry that I do not have an explanation. Wish you all the best.

Regards,

Philippe